Brexit is the term used to refer to the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union. The manner in which, and the date upon which this will happen is still a matter of uncertainty.
Depending on how the situation plays out, Brexit will have various implications for South African exporters to the United Kingdom.
South Africa currently enjoys preferential trade with the United Kingdom under the Southern African Development Community- European Union Economic Partnership Agreement (SADC –EU EPA). When the United Kingdom leaves the European Union, they will no longer be a party to the trade agreements that the EU have with third party countries like South Africa.
The United Kingdom has therefore negotiated an agreement with South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, eSwatini, Namibia and Mozambique, which largely replicates the terms of the SADC-EU EPA. These are all the countries that are party to the SADC-EU EPA, and are referred to as the Southern African Customs Union + Mozambique, or SACUM countries. The new trade agreement is therefore called the SACUM –UK EPA.
The new SACUM-UK EPA will kick in when, and if, the UK leaves the EU, pending ratification by all the parties.
If you have questions about Brexit or are interested in finding out more about exporting from the Western Cape, please contact:
Wesgro (General: +27 (0) 21 487 8600 or www.wesgro.co.za)
- Denan Kuni, Head of International Trade and Development: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erica Joubert, Senior Trade Manager for Europe: email@example.com
- Karen Bosman, Strategic Research and Public Affairs: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Economic Development and Tourism Western Cape Government:
(General: +27 (0) 21 483 9226 or https://www.westerncape.gov.za/dept/edat)
- Riana Meyer, Deputy Director Economic Sector Support Department of Economic Development and Tourism: Riana.Meyer@westerncape.gov.za
Other Key Stakeholders
- Department of Trade and Industry - email@example.com or 0861 843 384
- Export Councils: a list if South African export councils can be found on https://www.wesgro.co.za/trade/services
- SARS - more information about exporting under South Africa's international trade agreements can be found at https://www.sars.gov.za/Legal/International-Treaties-Agreements/Trade-Agreements/Pages/default.aspx
Download the FAQ here: