This is a three year contractual position (with the option to renew) subject to the successful candidate signing a Performance Agreement.
A six month probation period applies
Reference Number: BDA/V1
It is proposed that the CEO, selected by mutual agreement, be seconded from Wesgro in order to access the resources of the institution, easily access international and local investors and access the networks of the organisation. The shared focus on economic development is part of the reason why Wesgro is the ideal institution to house the CEO. However, Wesgro carries the mandate for investment for the entire Western Cape region while this project is specifically focussed on Grabouw / Elgin and hence requires a dedicated resource. It is proposed that the incumbent will work in Grabouw four days a week and spend one day in Wesgro’s offices in Cape Town.
About the Grabouw Development Agency
The Grabouw/Elgin community has been stuck in a negative cycle of weak government, deep-rooted inequality and distrust, a low skills base and high unemployment, giving rise to regular social unrest, threatening the area’s main economic mainstays, agriculture and tourism.
Meanwhile, the farming community’s philanthropic efforts at present are unsustainable, unfocused and not conducive to change. Little surprise that social unrest and division continues despite the farming community’s well-intentioned giving.
The Grabouw Development Agency (GDA) presents a structured, strategic and well-connected alternative to the status quo: a body dedicated to overseeing the transition from unlimited charitable giving (with little effect) to social financing and community buy-in. The GDA has been established since no existing body is empowered and dedicated to driving investment and growth, and coordinating the multiplicity of stakeholders. The GDA will have three distinct functions:
- Creating and communicating a shared vision for Grabouw through stakeholder engagement and digital communication.
- Attracting investors to various identified projects around the Valley, including a Lifestyle Village, Eikenhof Dam development, and others.
- Overseeing the establishment of a community-based social enterprise in the form of the Grabouw Open Community Hub.
Purpose of the role
The role of the GDA CEO is essential to the success of the project. The individual will require to pull all the stakeholders together in a committee that remains highly divided not only in ideology but also economic outlook. The CEO is in essences a facilitator between the community, investors and government (local, provincial and possibly national).
The CEO will also be required to crystallise investment projects and then also seek investors to develop such projects in order to facilitate large scale employment creation. It will require someone with excellent stakeholder management skills in order to mobilise the farming community, the poor masses and external (and possibly internal) funders. It is therefore suggested that this individual should preferably not originate from the Grabouw region given the need for a fresh approach.
The CEO will report to the Board of Directors of the GDA.
Duties and responsibilities
• Provide a clear vision, purpose for the organisation
• Operate as a positive role model for the culture of the organization; principled and acts with integrity
• Understands and navigates organization dynamics; builds strong informal networks
• Develop high a performing collaborative team; is inspirational and present
• Provide the Board of Directors with trusted feedback and advice
• Resourceful – willing to take measured risks
• Understands context and has a clear long-term view
• Navigates ambiguity and is relentlessly solutions driven
• Use strong analytical and innovative thinking to develop a clear business strategy to achieve goals
• Ensure alignment with GDA strategic direction
3. Financial management
• Strong financial leadership
• Ensure financial goals are achieved
• Ensure there is a clear communication strategy which maximizes opportunities for advocacy, community building and builds GDA’s brand reputation
5. Stakeholder collaborator
• Has a strong leadership presence
• Establish strong trusted stakeholder relationships that can be leveraged to help deliver results
6. Management and administration
• Ensure effective reporting of issues, opportunities, priorities, and milestones to board members and major stakeholders including timely updates, written reports for board meetings, financial and monitoring reports as required by stakeholders
• Lead by means of a collaborative management approach that leverages available skills, experience and perspectives
• Demonstrate a passion for cross cultural diversity and integration
• Ensure ongoing investment in the skills, competency and leadership development of GDA staff to ensure the maximum release of human potential.
• Act as the chief external advocate for the organisation ensuring key messages for the goals of the GDA are heard
Qualifications and experience required
- 10 years+ experience with both private and public sector. Non-profit organization experience will be an advantage
- Previous experience working as a senior manager is essential
- A track record of working with diverse stakeholders
- Strong understanding of investment promotion
- Investment opportunity identification and prospectus development
- An understanding of public sector budgets, and specifically procurement requirements
- Project management of complex projects
- Digital and content marketing experience
- Experience with applying data analytics tools and techniques
The incumbent needs demonstrate the following personal qualities:
- A self-starter
- Friendly and willing to collaborate
- Comfortable in complex stakeholder environments
- Creative flair
- Willing to be brave and develop big ideas
- Highly organised
How to apply: Email your most recent CV to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quote the full position title and reference to this advert
Closing date: 24:00 (midnight) 30 November 2020
Direct all enquiries to Celeste Dickinson: Human Resources, on 021 487 4881
Should you not have received any response from us within 14 days after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful